Monday, August 22, 2011

About Sorta Fabulous


Creating a home or garden design can be a daunting task when you have a champagne taste on a beer budget. You can go to your favorite magazine for inspiration, find a look that you love, then notice the prices. Maybe you fall in love with a room, or garden design that would appear ridiculous in your hovel. Just remember that you are looking for inspiration. You don't want to be a copy cat.

Instead of moping, feeling defeated in your thwarted dreams of grandeur, learn to adapt. Living in reduced circumstances can lead to a creative lifestyle, to an adventure in thrift, where your life may seem sorta fabulous. And while the frugal life may lead you into the sustainable practices of reusing, repurposing, and recycling, you may just wind up giving Mother Earth a helping hand. 


When I admired some simple paintings at one of my favorite shops, but complained about the price, the woman beside me, a total stranger, said "why don't you paint one yourself? You can do that." She told me where to find the salvaged door panels ($6.00 a piece) in the basement. After many stabs at painting, I began to develop a bit of a style, not like the pictures that I admired, but my own. If I want a landscape painting, I just make one myself.

No comments:

Post a Comment